April showers might bring May flowers, but they can also put a damper on your morning jog. Fortunately, there are many indoor exercises you can do to stay fit when the rain is pouring.
The idea behind a plank is to keep everything level: torso, shoulders, legs, everything. To do a forward plank:
- Begin lying flat on your stomach, elbows to your sides, and hands palm down in front under your shoulders. Keep toes forward so your feet and ankles are propped up.
- Slowly raise yourself up on your arms, keeping your legs, hips, torso, and shoulders straight. Keep breathing and hold the position for 5 seconds.
- Keeping your legs and torso stiff, lower yourself slowly to the floor.
Planks are great for exercising your abs and back.
This exercise helps get your heart rate up while exercising the legs, hips, and buttocks.
- Start with your feet hip width apart, back straight, arms by your sides, and shoulder blades down.
- Shift your hips back and down, bending the knees. Lean forward, keeping your back straight with your arms out for balance. Keep your head facing forward.
- Spring into the air. Straighten legs, hips, and ankles, keeping your feet level. Avoid too much forward movement.
- Land on the balls of your feet and roll back onto your heels. Move your hips back and bend your knees to absorb the shock. Your torso should be braced and leaning somewhat forward, your head lined up with your spine.
It’s best to start off focusing on the process of jumping and landing before going into higher jumps. Once you’re used to the hip movements involved, progress to small hops, then higher leaps.
Pushups with One Leg Raised
An advanced form of pushups, these exercise your arms, chest, shoulders, hips, buttocks, and pretty much everything else in between.
- Start in normal pushup position: body straight, hands under your shoulders, feet together with toes tucked forward.
- Bend your elbows and move slowly downward, keeping everything straight.
- As you rise upward again, raise one leg up, keeping it straight. Hold until you reach your starting position.
Be sure to alternate legs with each pushup.
In addition to indoor exercises, healthy foods can help you maintain fitness during rainy weather. Nashua Nutrition is here to help round out your fitness routine.